Friday, March 12, 2010

Our "Grand" Adventure

Sue and I just got back from the Grand Canyon Adventure of a lifetime!
I do not even know how to begin to talk about it.....
It was the most brutal, incredible, fantastic, COLD (!) exciting, challenging trip of a lifetime.
Amazing people and scenery that you cannot photograph!
Really, the pictures do not do it justice at all.
Still, here are just a few to start with....
..... more to follow in the coming days.


On our 4th morning, we were blessed with beautiful sunny weather and decided to break camp early to get down the river a bit so we would not have as long a run the next day, with inclimate weather threatening our journey. It turned out to be a good thing, because the next day was very difficult. We were off the river a lot colder and wetter than we had hoped, but we warmed up and ate and slept well that night, except for hearing "Hance Rapid" roaring all night long.


Sue learned to row the raft with a little guidance from our new friend, Artie. She astounded him with her amazing upper body strength and ability to power through the water! What a gal!


I did my best to add my talents to the meals each day. Here I am fixing some potatoes and onions to have with dinner. The compliments were abundant....... (ha!)


This photo does a "satisfactory" job capturing a bit of the majesty of this river canyon.
I'll try to post some more that I think may give you an idea what the week was like..... though it is one of those "You Just Had To Be There" trips, I think...
xo

3 comments:

  1. one day is about my speed. and then I'd sleep for a week. can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos and LOVE the fact that you took this adventure and lived it to the fullest! You are awesome!!!Love. Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell it, the dry cold air. Gila monsters weren't out in force, I take it?

    ReplyDelete