Friday, February 4, 2011

Stephanie's House

Two weeks ago, my Creative Group of Friends (we don't have a name for ourselves - yet) were at Stephanie's house for our monthly Creative Session. We decided at our most recent Christmas Session (you may remember seeing posts from December 2009 and 2010) that we needed to have one once a month as something special for ourselves. Stephanie hosted the first January one and it was fantastic!

Of course, this vase reminded me of so many of you - truly! Isn't it wonderful?

Now Oolie, really! Both above AND below - check it out! Tiny tin teapots, cups and plates and wonderful pails and tins - I had to close my mouth so my tongue didn't hit the floor!

And houses! Stephanie's collections are spectacular. They are displayed throughout the house with such love and care and are simply a part of her everyday life. I am in LOVE!


As we entered the dining area for our "eats," the hanging on the wall caught my eye. See the detail below:
Each section attached to the larger piece of cloth has a name and date on it and we surmised that it must have been an exercise in stitching at a school, or something. Each panel is different and equally as charming as the one next to it. The best part, though, was that after we ate, Stephanie brought out a huge bowl of assorted buttons and 12x12" pieces of cloth - one for each of us. We sat and sewed buttons to our squares and had the most wonderful time! Our friend, Cheryl, who is part of our group, was celebrating her 50th birthday that day, so did not attend because she spent it with her family. I thought it would be nice to make a little something for her - so she would know that she was with us even if not there in person....so I did.

This is Beth's snowflake-like image out of mostly pearl buttons. I took a photo for her since she wanted to be sure of the pattern she had laid out to be certain she stitched them on right.

And this is the blackbird that I stitched for Cheryl. She is a collector of blackbirds and I used exactly 50 black buttons in this design.....plus one shiny red one to create the cherry in his mouth....and the "One to Grow On". I hope she will make a pillow out of it and enjoy that she was really there with us.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blackbird Joni. Those dollhouses are wonderful. I would love a collection of them but wonder where I would put them all. Glad you have a project group going on. What will you make next time?

    ReplyDelete